Frequently Asked Questions
- What is car sharing?
- How does car sharing work?
- Why should I consider car sharing?
- What about sharing costs?
- What about insurance?
- Do I have to share everyday?
- What if I car share and have to leave work suddenly?
- What happens if I am the driver and am sick?
- What happens if I find that car sharing doesn't suit me?
- I only have use of the car occasionally. Can I still share?
- How can I plan a journey using public transport?
What is car sharing? top
It is when two or more people decide to travel to work together in one car rather than separately. It does not exclude people who would normally travel as a passenger on other transport, but is really aimed at getting vehicles off the roads by increasing the number of people in each car.
How does car sharing work? top
Once you have completed the registration form the details will be entered into the database. The IfYouCareShare.com system will then produce a list of suitable sharers; people to pick up on the way or who live near you and who meet the criteria you have requested. From this list it is then up to *you* to contact each other and formulate a car share agreement that is convenient to you all.
You do not have to over commit yourself at this stage. One option is to set a trial period and a date to review the feelings of all parties. This will enable you to stop sharing at this point if the arrangement doesn't suit any or some of the parties involved.
Why should I consider car sharing? top
Below are some of the many reasons:
- Reduce the mileage and everyday wear and tear on your vehicle
- Reduce fuel costs [and parking charges] by sharing the day-to-day expenses
- Reduce congestion and save valuable time, particularly at busy times of the day
- Reduce traffic pollution
What about sharing costs? top
There are various ways in which this can be done. If you find a method which works particularly well for your group please email the scheme administrator with details. Any other methods which are considered appropriate can then be added to the list of suggestions.
- On a reciprocal basis, where you drive one week and the next week your car share partner drives
- If there is only one driver then he/she may charge their passengers for the journey: HITRANS and ZetTrans IfYouCareShare currently recommends that 10p per mile is a fair contribution, plus splitting any parking fee equally, as long as you don't charge your passengers more than the running costs of the vehicle.
What about insurance? top
You must be fully insured and it is advisable to inform your insurance company that you are registered in a car share scheme. This should not incur additional costs. Most insurance policies cover you to carry passengers as long as you don't charge your passengers more than the running costs of the vehicle.
We offer a sample letter which you could use if you wish to contact your insurance company.
Do I have to share everyday? top
No, the registration form includes a section that enables you to choose the days that you wish to share.
What if I car share and have to leave work suddenly? top
If, for genuine unexpected reasons, you have to leave work suddenly, and are a passenger,
you must contact your car share partner(s) as soon as possible so that
they can make alternative arrangements. As a passenger it is also essential
for you to let the driver know so that they know not to wait
if you are not at your pick up point.
If you are a passenger and your driver has to leave suddenly you could try finding someone else on the car share list who lives near you and who could give you a lift for that journey.
What happens if I am the driver and am sick? top
You must contact your car share partner(s) as soon as possible so that they can make alternative arrangements. As a passenger it is also essential for you to let the driver know you are ill so that they know not to wait if you are not at your pick up point.
What happens if I find that car sharing doesn't suit me? top
If you find that car sharing does not suit you, you can stop at any time.
I only have use of the car occasionally. Can I still share? top
Yes, the system will match you on appropriate days.
How can I plan a journey using public transport? top
If you have any more comments or questions please email the Car Share Administrator and we can include answers to any frequently asked questions for other users.